Monday 1 July 2013

Is rock and roll dead? My list of modern rock and roll bands you need to hear

After a chance meeting to other night I was re introduced to the rock and roll scene that used to be so prevalent at the end of the 2000's. Personally I dont think that gigs have been the same since smoking was banned in venues as nothing quite matches the scene of a great rock a roller such as Dan Sartain walking onto a smoke filled stage and rattling out some Lo Fi Americana as it would today.

Dan Sartain is a Birmingham, Alabama baset Lo-Fi rockabilly troubadour and is signed to the rather wonderful One Little Indian Label (http://www.indian.co.uk/site) based in my old haunt Balham. To listen to Sartain's album Dan Sartain vs The Serpientes is a pleasure I always love perfect for all moods and weathers. I always have fond memories of his battles with the cobras over 3 parts on that album and to try and imagine how to 'hang a snake my its neck' - Dan Sartain - Walk Among the Cobras Part 1

The band in question I was introduced to was Vincent Vincent and the Villains, a band that had passed me by in 2007 who's pop take on Rock and Roll may seem pedestrian at times but could really write a catchy hook still in keeping with classic 50's song and chord structures. Yes, your right, they may sound a little like The Kooks. But it was fashionable not to like The Kooks as it is with many bands who seem to to gain quick popularity - Vincent Vincent and the Villains - On My Own Live

My favourite rock and roll band who when I first listened to them I though were from the 50's has to be Kitty Daisy and Lewis. The most beautiful brother and sister band from this great city who record on 1930s equipment in their lounge. I can't describe just how great they are live when their dad joins them on rhythm guitar and mum joins on double bass - Kitty Daisy and Lewis - Polly Put the Kettle On Live

Unfortunately for you all I will be dusting off my classically trained voice and buying this guitar so I can attempt to become a sweet little rock and roller once again as I need to get back on a tiny stage somewhere and make a fool of myself, make sure you bring your e cigarettes so we can try and replicate gigs like they used to be. Please listen to a select tracks from these bands and others on this blogs spotify playlist - Hi Ho Silver - Modern Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment